Thursday, September 9, 2010

Robert Cording

Robert Cording holds the Barrett Chair in Creative Writing at the College of the Holy Cross. The recipient of two National Endowment for the Arts grants in poetry, he has published five poetry collections: Life-list (1987), which won the Ohio State University Press/Journal award; What Binds Us to the World (1991); Heavy Grace (1996); Against Consolation (2002); and Common Life (2006). His latest collection, Walking with Ruskin, is due out in October 2010.


LIFE CHANGES

Remember those Saturday morning cartoons—
A safe creeping up the side of a building
On ropes meant to break and a man
Strolling below, whistling, blissfully unaware,
But blessedly inches out of reach
When the ropes give way just as expected,
The safe planting itself in the sidewalk
Like a down payment on another life.

Well let’s say the man is a guy I know,
A good husband and father of two
And that he’s just come up
From the subway into the splendid sun
Of an autumn day and he’s dawdling,
Drinking a second cup of coffee,
Maybe enjoying the angle of the sun
Falling between buildings and the blue

Prospect undisturbed by clouds,
When a plane explodes into the building
Where he works and, as he watches,
His entire building collapses.
In the months to come, his odd luck
Teaches this sane and orderly man
That his life is neither sane nor orderly.
He is a good man, kind and loving,

But, though he tries to return to life
Just as before, he cannot stop believing
He must change his life. A year later
He leaves his wife and kids with plenty
Of money, and tries to begin again.
He travels for a while, saves time
For himself, reads more novels, joins
A Buddhist Center. Two more years go by.

The shock has worn off. The man
Has resettled thousands of miles away
In another city much like the one he left.
He still stops at Starbucks for a second cup.
He’s remarried—a second wife hardly different
From the first. He’s back doing the same
Kind of work, getting in some golf
On the weekends. That’s the story

He tells me one afternoon inside the dark
Of his favorite bar where he’s holding up
A cell phone. The leaves are turning colors
Again. We hoist a few, fall into the ball game
On the TV, waiting for a couple of players
To get on base, or someone to hit one out.
But it’s a pitcher’s battle, lots of beginnings
Turning out as repetitions and zeroes

On the scoreboard. We’re both
Pretty drunk when he looks into his drink
Like he’s reading entrails for a doomed
Empire. He says he can’t stop feeling
That there’s a giant hole in the middle of
Everything. In his dreams, he’s always
At the edge of the hole and looking down.
He knows nothing can ever fill it.


When was this poem composed? How did it start?

Like most of my poems, this one knocked around in my head for a time. Shortly after September 11, there were newspaper reports of people who had stopped for coffee or had missed their usual train, or were just dawdling in the good weather, and so were not yet at their office in the World Trade Center when the first hijacked plane exploded into the tower. The actual poem began two years later when the opening lines about the Saturday morning cartoons popped into my head. It was more the voice of those lines than their content that mattered—it helped me think of those reports less realistically and more as a possible parable I could tell. I never wanted to address 9/11 directly; I didn’t have the stomach or the talent for it.

How many revisions did this poem undergo? How much time elapsed between the first and final drafts?

This was an odd poem for me. I kept putting it off, primarily because I thought any writing about 9/11 would end in falsely appropriating the event. When I did start the poem finally, the time scheme between first and final drafts was much the same as my other work—for me usually six months to a year between starting a poem and sending it out to magazines. “Life Changes” fit that pattern.

Do you believe in inspiration? How much of this poem was “received” and how much was the result of sweat and tears?

I think most poems involve both. Most of my work is the result of a number of revisions, the trial and error process of trying to get said what wants to be said, and the coming to know what can go unsaid. Much of the time is taken up with plotting the poem; cutting out what doesn’t need to be there; finding the poem’s form on the page. But I cannot usually begin a poem until I “hear” the voice of the poem. And the voice of this or that poem often seems “received” and curiously magical.

How long do you let a poem “sit” before you send it off into the world? Do you have any rules about this or does your practice vary with every poem?

Because of my teaching schedule, I tend to draft poems in the summer and then work on revisions during the fall semester. I usually exchange poems with a couple of other poet friends during this time. And then I send poems out during the second semester.

Could you talk about fact and fiction and how this poem negotiates the two?

Though the poem alludes to September 11 and uses the facts of the day itself, “the guy I know” in the poem is entirely fictional. I was looking to create something like a fictional character who is both unlikable and sympathetic, and in whom we could see ourselves and the way, to tinker with the cliché, the more we change, the more we remain the same.

Is this a narrative poem?

Telling a story is important to me, and yet I’m always trying to find the right mix of narrative and lyric elements.

Do you remember who you were reading when you wrote this poem? Any influences you’d care to disclose?

I don’t remember if I was reading someone in particular. I do remember I was trying to write more “parable” like poems at the time. One of my favorite poets, George Herbert, is always in my head, especially when I’m considering the dangers and pitfalls of trying to live an honest spiritual life. And I can see the influences of Carl Dennis and Stephen Dunn whom I admire a great deal.

Do you have any particular audience in mind when you write, an ideal reader?

I think my ideal reader is someone who is struggling to figure out how to live his/her life—as I am.

How does this poem differ from other poems of yours? What is American about this poem?

I was probably more deliberate here in trying to link the struggle to live a meaningful life to the historical events of September 11. After the horror of September 11, the historian David Levering Lewis described the event as a “virtual consecration on the part of Americans to self-assessment and to probing the circumstances that produced the greatest violation of our sense of self since Pearl Harbor. Indeed when people asked, Why do they hate us, a large number of Americans were encouraged to believe that there might be an earnest and prudent and informed search for answers to that question.” I asked that question myself. And today, I find myself still asking that same question because in some ways “Everything has changed, though nothing has.” I don’t intend by asking such a question that we ever lose sight of the monstrous wrong that was done that day; but I believe that we still need to ask and keep asking why many people around the world were not astonished that the terrible events of that day happened.

Was this poem finished or abandoned?

Aren’t all poems abandoned once the writer reaches the best rhetorical finish he/she can achieve? As Eliot said, our words are “raids on the inarticulate.”

11 comments:

  1. What a frightening and beautiful poem. Thank you both, Robert and Brian, for posting it and this account of its making on this particular day. It helps me stand at the edge of the abyss and look down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m Ayesha Kumar from New Delhi India, I was been transformed into a Vampire through the help of Mr. Vincent the vampire lord, it was just as easy as possible, at first I was thinking it going to take a while for my ( D.N.A.) to respond, all I did was just to follow the procedure that I was been told, and I bet you that procedure I took to change my entire life to something I ever desire, freedom, sickness free, pains free, fame, influence, connections and even more that I can. Thanks to Mr. Vincent the vampire lord's vampire lifestyle is the best. You can contact Mr. Vincent the vampire lord if you want to become a vampire. He doesn't like unserious people.
    vampirelordcenter@gmail.com or vampirelordcenter@yahoo.com
    WhatsApp him. +14152865884

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you think you will miss your Alaska Airlines missed flight policy you must let us know before your flight departs in order to get the value of your ticket as credit to use on a subsquent flight in your wallet. Please note that Saver fares cannot be changed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does Cash App Routing Number Assist In Finding Your Bank Name?
    Are you facing some problems while trying to find your Cash App bank name with optimum ease? To do so without confronting at glitches, you should perform a Google search through your Cash App Routing Number and you will be able to determine the required information in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. write my thesis for me”  requirements, including following formatting guidelines. They will customise your assignments and help you bag in better grades. Moreover, they will deliver the assignments on time so that you never miss the deadlines, no matter how stringent they are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I Talk To A Live Person At Facebook if you are one of those Facebook users who are confronting some sorts of problems during the course of selling something on your Facebook marketplace? However, you don’t need to worry as you are confronting some known and unknown errors while doing the same. In such a case, it would be good to go to the official Facebook help center where you can determine the right assistance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does It Need Verification To Increase Cash App Withdrawal Limit?
    If you are one of those users who are looking forward to knowing Cash App Withdrawal Limit, you are at the right place and you will be able to get your query clarified within the least time frame. Apart from that, you will need to get in touch with the Cash App support professionals through a live chat or a phone number if you are still having some problems while using the Cash App card for withdrawing money as per the limit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How To Tackle If Cash App Won't Let Me Send Money To Anyone?
    If you would like to get rid of Cash App Won't Let Me Send Money problems, you should check if the application is out of its date. However, you have to download the latest version of Cash App and you can easily perform any activities from your Cash App account without any difficulties. Also, you might not able to send money from your Cash App account if you are lacking behind the sufficient funds in your Cash App account.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What Is The Valid Solution To Handle Cash App Failed For My Protection?
    If you are going here and there for the purpose of finding out the right way to handling Cash App Failed For My Protection problems, you should stop searching and going anywhere else as you are luckily at the right and reliable place. The best thing you should do is to have a word with the feasible possible solutions so that you don’t need to worry at all. Apart from that, you should also contact the geeks of the department as carefully as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vernal Elden Washable, Non-Shedding, Non-Slip Area Rug Grey
    Our printed rugs are machine washable and easy to care. They retain the look and colors and look as good as new. We recommend line drying or drying without heat on an air-only dryer cycle. Anti-Slip Backing: All vernal rugs come with a nice anti slip grip to keep the rug in once place without requiring adjust. https://www.greendecore.com/products/vernal-elden-chenille-area-rug-grey

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your article is very informative and well-written. Thanks for posting it, it really helps me to expand my knowledge. Additionally, we assist businesses with their content-related problems. Our team of experts is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Our Professional content writing services helps them grow their business and also saves them time so they can focus on other things. Please contact us as soon as possible if you need help with your website content.

    ReplyDelete